The purpose of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services' Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) Health Services Research Grant Program is to support HBCU researchers in carrying out health services research activities to meet the needs of diverse CMS beneficiary populations. This is the 19th year for the grant program. The goals of the grant program are to:
- Encourage HBCU health services researchers to pursue research issues which impact the Medicare, Medicaid, and Children Health Insurance programs;
- Assist CMS in implementing its mission focusing on health care quality and improvement for its beneficiaries;
- Assist HBCU researchers by supporting extramural research in health care capacity development activities for the African American communities;
- Increase the pool of HBCU researchers capable of implementing the research, demonstration, and evaluation activities of CMS;
- Promote research that will be aimed at developing a better understanding of health care services pertained to African Americans; and
- Assist in fostering inter-university communication and collaboration regarding African American health disparity issues.
More information is provided in the Additional Information section below.