The three-year Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) Advanced Primary Care Practice (APCP) Demonstration concluded on October 31, 2014 as scheduled. It came to its natural conclusion under the authority of section 1115A of the Social Security Act, as enacted by section 3021 of the Affordable Care Act. CMS is presently analyzing the demonstration data and the final results will be published on the CMS website at a later date.
The Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) Advanced Primary Care Practice demonstration showed how the patient-centered medical home model can improve quality of care, promote better health, and lower costs.
The Participating FQHCs
Select anywhere on the map below to view the interactive versionList).
This demonstration project, operated by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) in partnership with the Health Resources Services Administration (HRSA), tested the effectiveness of doctors and other health professionals working in teams to coordinate and improve care for up to 195,000 Medicare patients.
Participating FQHCs were expected to achieve Level 3 patient-centered medical home recognition, help patients manage chronic conditions, as well as actively coordinate care for patients. To help participating FQHCs make these investments in patient care and infrastructure, they were paid a monthly care management fee for each eligible Medicare beneficiary receiving primary care services. In return, FQHCs agreed to adopt care coordination practices that are recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA).
CMS and HRSA provided technical assistance to help FQHCs achieve these goals.
Latest Evaluation Report
- FQHC Advance Primary Care Practice Final Evaluation Report (PDF)
- FQHC Advance Primary Care Practice Final Evaluation Report - Appendix A (PDF)
- FQHC Advance Primary Care Practice Final Evaluation Report - Appendix B — H (PDF)
- FQHC Advance Primary Care Practice Final Evaluation Report - Appendix I — N (PDF)
Prior Evaluation Reports
- FQHC Advance Primary Care Practice Second Evaluation Report (PDF)
- FQHC Advance Primary Care Practice First Evaluation Report (PDF)
- FQHC Advance Primary Care Practice General Fact Sheet (PDF)
- FQHC Advance Primary Care Practice Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- State-Based Initiatives Systematic Review of Lessons Learned (PDF)