The CMS Artificial Intelligence (AI) Health Outcomes Challenge is an opportunity for innovators to demonstrate how AI tools – such as deep learning and neural networks – can be used to predict unplanned hospital and skilled nursing facility admissions and adverse events.
Partnering with the American Academy of Family Physicians and Arnold Ventures, the CMS AI Health Outcomes Challenge will engage with innovators from all sectors – not just from healthcare – to harness AI solutions to predict health outcomes for potential use in CMS Innovation Center innovative payment and service delivery models.
- Use AI/deep learning methodologies to predict unplanned hospital and SNF admissions and adverse events within 30 days for Medicare beneficiaries, based on a data set of Medicare administrative claims data, including Medicare Part A (hospital) and Medicare Part B (professional services).
- Develop innovative strategies and methodologies to: explain the AI-derived predictions to front-line clinicians and patients to aid in providing appropriate clinical resources to model participants; and increase use of AI-enhanced data feedback for quality improvement activities among model participants.
- Opened on March 27, 2019, to the general public. Entrants each completed an online application and submitted a brief slide deck providing information about the submitting entity and their proposed solution.
- The Launch Stage application period closed June 19, 2019.
CMS announced 25 Participants to advance to Stage 1 on October 30, 2019. The 25 Participants, titles of proposed solutions and geographic locations are listed below:expand Read more about
More information about Stage 1 submission requirements and evaluation criteria will be provided at a later date. Up to 7 finalists from Stage 1 will be announced April 2020.
CMS will announce more information about Stage 2 at a later date.
- Stage 1 participants announced: October 2019
- LDS requests submitted: November 2019
- Stage 1 project packages due: February 2020
- Stage 2 finalists announced: April 2020
- Updated LDS requests submitted: April 2020
- Stage 2 project packages due: July 2020
- Awardees announced: September 2020
Please visit ai.cms.gov to learn more about the AI Health Outcomes Challenge!
- Watch the April 18 Informational Overview webinar
- Official public notice (PDF) of the Challenge (Updated June 2019) (CMS reserves the right to change or update the Challenge requirements at any time.)
- Stay tuned by subscribing to receive email updates
Prizes (subject to change)
Total prizes up to $1.65 million
- 7 finalists progress to Stage 2 and receive awards of up to $60,000
- 1 grand prize winner will receive up to $1 million and the runner-up will receive up to $230,000