The Innovation Center announced in June 2012 that beginning August 1, 2012, it will be accepting applications for the Advance Payment Model for ACOs entering the Medicare Shared Savings Program January 1, 2013. Before applying to the Advance Payment Model, an ACO must first apply to the Medicare Shared Savings Program.
At the bottom of this page, we have a tool to help you check your eligibility.
Only ACOs that enter the Medicare Shared Savings Program in April 2012, July 2012 and January 2013 are eligible. Organizations interested in participating in the Advance Payment Model must apply to both the Medicare Shared Savings Program and Advance Payment Model.
The Advance Payment ACO Model is open only to two types of organizations:
- ACOs that do not include any inpatient facilities AND have less than $50 million in total annual revenue.
- ACOs in which the only inpatient facilities are critical access hospitals and/or Medicare low-volume rural hospitals AND have less than $80 million in total annual revenue.
ACOs that are co-owned with a health plan will be ineligible, regardless of whether they also fall into one of the above categories.
Key Dates and Deadlines
For the January 1, 2013 Start Date:
- Notices of Intent to apply to the Medicare Shared Savings Program are due June 29, 2012.
- The Advance Payment ACO Model application will be available between August 1 and September 19, 2012. Your final submitted application is accepted through 5:00pm EDT on September 19, 2012.
Review the Advance Payment Model Application Questions
The Innovation Center will accept applications to the Advance Payment Model online, starting August 1, 2012. The questions that will appear in that application are available in advance to help applicants to prepare prior to actually completing it.
The below documents are intended to assist you in the application process:
- Advance Payment Application Template (PDF) - This is a list of questions that will appear on the web tool. It is not an application that should be filled in or submitted.
- Advance Payment Application Worksheet (XLS) - Applicants will have to complete this spreadsheet and upload it to the web tool as part of their Advance Payment application.
- Instructions for the Advance Payment Application Worksheet (PDF)
How to Apply
The Innovation Center will accept applications to the Advance Payment Model online. Applications sent in hard copy or by email will NOT be accepted.
In order to apply for the Advance Payment Model, your organization will need a user name and password to use the web tool. To receive this log-in information, and a link to the application web tool, you will need to email us as follows:
- Email email@example.com
- The subject of the email should read "LICENSE REQUEST: [ACO ID]." Instead of [ACO ID] type the ACO ID number listed in the acknowledgement letter you received from CMS in response to the Notice of Intent you submitted to apply to the Shared Savings Program.
- In the body of the email, please include the name of the applying ACO as it appears on the ACO's application to the Shared Savings Program, the ACO ID number, and a phone number where the Advance Payment Team can reach the person preparing your application to the Advance Payment Model.
The Advance Payment Team will acknowledge your request when we receive it, but you will not receive your log-in information or a link to the application web tool until the first day the online application is made available. Once you receive your log-in information, you will be able to begin filling in your application. You will be able to save your work and revisit your application before formally submitting it.
Have a Question?
Please email all questions regarding the Advance Payment ACO Model, and its application process, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This tool is for information purposes only. Formal eligibility determinations and selections into the Advance Payment ACO Model will be based on submitted applications.