Under the Graduate Nurse Education Demonstration, CMS will provide reimbursement to up to five eligible hospitals for the reasonable cost of providing clinical training to advanced practice registered nursing (APRN) students added as a result of the demonstration.
There are 5 participating sites involved in the Graduate Nurse Education Demonstration. (List)
To view an interactive map of this Model, visit the Where Innovation is Happening page. expand icon Read More
- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, PA)
- Duke University Hospital (Durham, NC)
- Scottsdale Healthcare Medical Center (Scottsdale, AZ)
- Rush University Medical Center (Chicago, IL)
- Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center Hospital (Houston, TX)
Growing the ranks of APRNs is an important way to increase the base of primary care providers in this country. In the past, the cost of clinical training has limited the ability of hospitals and other healthcare providers to accept more APRN students into their settings for clinical training.
The primary goal of the demonstration is to increase the provision of qualified training to APRN students. The clinical training included in this demonstration will provide APRNs with the clinical skills necessary to provide primary care, preventive care, transitional care, chronic care management, and other services appropriate for Medicare beneficiaries.
Under the Graduate Nurse Education Demonstration, CMS will provide reimbursement to up to five eligible hospitals for the reasonable cost of providing clinical training to APRN students added as a result of the demonstration. Hospitals participating in the demonstration must partner with accredited schools of nursing and non-hospital community-based care settings.
Payments to the participating hospitals will be linked directly to the number of additional APRNs that the hospitals and their partnering entities are able to train as a result of their participation in the demonstration. The payment will be calculated on a per-student basis, comparing previous enrollment levels in APRN training programs with enrollment under the demonstration.
- Graduate Nurse Education Demonstration Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Graduate Nurse Education Demonstration Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Graduate Nurse Education Demonstration Solicitation (PDF) - updated May 16, 2012
- Webinar: Overview and How to Apply including slides (PDF) for 04/18 webinar
For more information, please direct your questions to email@example.com.