**Disclaimer**: The materials on this page were used in announcing the availability of Round One funds and in communicating to potential applicants. These materials likely contain out-of-date information and are made available as a service to those who are looking for more background on this initiative.
Eligibility and How to Apply
Only governors from states and U.S. Territories and the mayor of the District of Columbia may submit applications for Model Design and Testing funding.
Only one application per state is permitted for Model Design funding under the current FOA. And only one request per state is permitted for each round of Model Testing award applications under the current FOA. A state may apply in a subsequent round if it did not apply, or was not selected for funding in the first round of Model Testing awards.
Each application must include a letter from the governor (or the mayor, if from the District of Columbia) officially endorsing the application for a Model Design award or for a Model Testing award. A state cannot receive multiple model design, pre-testing assistance or model testing awards.
All applications must be submitted electronically through Grants.gov. Applicants are strongly encouraged to use the review criteria information provided in the “Design Requirements” and “Application Review Information” sections in the Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) (PDF), to help ensure that the proposal adequately addresses all the criteria that will be used in evaluating the proposals. As part of the application, states must complete a Financial Template (XLS). If you use assistive technology and are having trouble accessing or using this document, please contact us and we will assist you.
- Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) (PDF)
- Fact Sheet
- Application Submission Guidance
- Round One Frequently Asked Questions
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - updated September 17
- Financial Template (XLS)
- 07/26 Webinar: State Innovation Models Initiative Overview
- 08/06 Webinar: State Innovation Models Initiative Overview for State Officials
- 08/14 Webinar: State Innovation Models Initiative for State Officials: Model Design
- 08/15 Webinar: State Innovation Models Initiative for State Officials: Model Testing
- 08/28 Webinar: State Innovation Models Initiative for State Officials: Application Process
- State Innovation Models Initiative: Conference Call Series