The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has released a Funding Opportunity Announcement for round two of the Health Care Innovation Awards. Under this announcement, CMS will spend up to $1 billion for awards and evaluation of projects from across the country that test new payment and service delivery models that will deliver better care and lower costs for Medicare, Medicaid, and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) enrollees.
The second round of the Health Care Innovation Awards will support public and private organizations in four defined areas that have a high likelihood of driving health care system transformation and delivering better outcomes. Specifically, in this second round, CMS is seeking proposals in the following categories:
- Models that are designed to rapidly reduce Medicare, Medicaid, and/or CHIP costs in outpatient and/or post-acute settings.
- Models that improve care for populations with specialized needs.
- Models that test approaches for specific types of providers to transform their financial and clinical models.
- Models that improve the health of populations – defined geographically (health of a community), clinically (health of those with specific diseases), or by socioeconomic class – through activities focused on engaging beneficiaries, prevention (for example, a diabetes prevention program or a hypertension prevention program), wellness, and comprehensive care that extend beyond the clinical service delivery setting.
In this round, CMS specifically seeks new payment models to support the service delivery models funded by this initiative. All applicants must submit, as part of their application, the design of a payment model that is consistent with the new service delivery model that they propose.
Interested parties of all types who have developed innovations that will drive significant improvement in population health, quality of care and total cost of care are welcome to apply. Eligible applicants include, but not limited to: provider groups, health systems, payers and other private sector organizations, faith-based organizations, states, local governments, public-private partnerships and for-profit organizations.
Key Dates and Deadlines
- Letters of Intent to Apply: CMS accepted letters of intent beginning June 3 until June 28, 2013 3pm EDT.
- Application: CMS accepted applications beginning June 14 until August 15, 2013 3pm EDT.
- Anticipated Award Announcement: Spring/Summer 2014
How to Apply
Letters of Intent to Apply
The submission period for submitting a Letter of Intent to the Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two has concluded. Failure to submit a Letter of Intent will disqualify an organization’s application from being reviewed. If you experienced a technical issue or have a programmatic question about your Letter of Intent submission please contact InnovationAwards@cms.hhs.gov.
All applicants are required to submit a complete application to CMS. Applications will be made available June 14 and completed applications will be accepted until August 15, 2013 3pm EDT. All applications must be submitted electronically through www.grants.gov. Potential applicants are strongly encouraged to use the review criteria information provided in the “Application Review Information” section of the Funding Opportunity Announcement.
- Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) (PDF)
- Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) - GrantSolutions.gov
The Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two Application requires the following four separate supplemental forms. The below forms are also available on Grants.gov:
- Financial Plan (xls)
- Operational Plan (docx) (Updated 06/20/13)
- Actuarial Review (pdf) (includes Authorizing Official and Chief Financial Officer approval)
- Executive Overview (docx)
These forms should be uploaded into the "Other Attachments File(s)" located inside the Grants.gov application kit. All forms should be uploaded in their native format (Excel, Word document etc.). A printed version of Actuarial Review .pdf should be completed, signed, scanned and uploaded as a .pdf file.
To assist you with the completion of your supplemental materials the following user guides are available. Please note these user guides should not be uploaded into Grants.gov application.
Please note that the Grants.gov website underwent a design update since the last webinar on submitting an application. To review the changes to Grants.gov, a tutorial video is available to assist users in searching, registering and applying for grants through the website.
Grants.gov helpdesk only supports users with the use of the Grants.gov application forms and application submission process in Grants.gov. All questions related to content and/or use of the supplemental forms must be directed to the CMS Innovation Center program staff at InnovationAwards@cms.hhs.gov. We encourage potential applicants to regularly check our website for related upcoming webinars, Frequently Asked Questions and other relevant information.
Have a Question?
Questions about the Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two can be sent to InnovationAwards@cms.hhs.gov.
For questions regarding the submission of your application, phone support is also available at 888-203-6161 during the hours of 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EDT Monday – Friday (excluding federal holidays).
- Press Release
- Fact Sheet
- Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Learning and Resources Area
- Conference Call: 05/15 Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two Announcement
- Webinar: 05/28 Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two – Overview
- Webinar: 06/12 Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two – Overview of Categories One and Two
- Webinar: 06/18 Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two – Overview of Categories Three and Four
- Webinar: 06/20 Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two – Achieving Lower Costs Through Improvement
- Webinar: 06/26 Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two – Measuring for Success and Developing an Operational Plan
- Webinar: 07/11 Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two – Developing Payment Models
- Webinar: 07/18 Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two – Application Road Map
- Webinar: 07/24 Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two – Submitting An Application & Technical Assistance